I am a breakfast lover. And when I say lover, I mean lover. As in, I could eat breakfast for every meal of the day and there are days where that is exactly what I do because it’s 1) simple and 2) healthy. For me, there’s nothing better than some scrambled eggs, bacon, and pancakes or waffles with fresh fruit. But finding a healthy pancake or waffle can be a challenge.
Most pre-made mixes have A LOT of excess sugar in them or they use white flour or there are artificial sweeteners–all of the above I like to avoid! So I pretty much did a cartwheel when I whipped up a batch of these gluten-free waffles from the Fixate cooking show on Beachbody On Demand. Why? BECAUSE THEY’RE DELICIOUS! And they’re hearty so even though the serving size is one waffle, they’re dense and filling and taste ohsogood!
For me, it was important that they fit into my meal plan for 80 Day Obsession. And these gluten-free waffles fit perfectly into meal plan C! What I like to do is serve these with the following:
- 2 scrambled eggs with a green container of sauteed diced peppers and onions + 1/2 blue container of feta cheese
- 1 purple container of fresh strawberries and blueberries
- 1 gluten-free waffle
- (Psst: I added chocolate chips to mine to make it fun for my kiddos but ate mine without!)
This is the perfect well-rounded meal with your macronutrients spread out so your body is fueled in the most efficient way possible so that you can get the very best results from all the hard work you’re putting in with your workouts! (Check out my results from day 1 to day 50 here.)
Serves 10, 1 waffle = 1 serving
- 4 large egg whites (½ cup)
- 2 cups oat flour, gluten-free
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 2 Tbsp. coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp. baking powder, gluten-free
- 1 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- 1 dash sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin, organic coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Place egg whites in a medium mixing bowl. Beat to stiff peaks. Set aside.
- Combine oat flour, almond flour, coconut flour, flaxseed, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- Combine almond milk, oil, and extract in a medium bowl; whisk to blend.
- Add almond milk mixture to oat flour mixture; whisk until evenly blended.
- Gently fold egg whites into batter until just combined.
- Spray waffle iron with spray. Add ½ cup batter; cook until waffle is golden and crisp. Repeat with remaining batter.
- To make oat flour, process oats in food processor until ground.
- The key to light, crispy waffles is to use the Belgian technique. Beat your egg whites to form stiff peaks in a separate bowl; fold them into the batter just before cooking.
- Your egg whites have reached stiff peak stage when the egg whites are smooth, moist, shiny, and the tips can stand straight up.
- Wrap leftover waffles individually in plastic wrap (or aluminum foil) and refrigerate for up to 4 days (or freeze for up to 3 months).
1 waffle = 1 yellow 1/2 blue