I like cheese. I like steak. I like rice. And I really like eating something that feels like a cheat meal but is instead crazy healthy. This Cheesy Steak Skillet you see, above? Um, yeah, it tastes so naughty delicious you’d think you were totally cheating and yet you’re getting a full serving of lean protein, a full serving of a low glycemic index carbohydrate, a full serving of veggies, and a full serving of healthy fats! And it’s also the PERFECT dinner for 80 Day Obsession and 21 Day Fix! (On the former, plans C and up can easily incorporate it into their meal plans while those in plan B can leave off the cheese and it’ll fit one of your meals for the day!)
This recipe, courtesy of the Fixate cooking show on Beachbody On Demand, is yet another example of why I love what I get to eat each day! I’m never once feeling deprived because here I am eating ALL.THE.FOOD without feeling guilty or like I’m only eating grilled chicken and salad. (In fact, not once since I started 80 Day Obsession have I even had a salad with grilled chicken!) And yet, here I am getting crazy results from this program! Down 8 lbs. total, 3 INCHES off my hips, almost 1.5 inches off each thigh, 2 inches off my waist, and feeling sooo much energy! And I’m eating TRIPLE the amount of food I was eating before starting 80 Day Obsession! The proof is in the pics! See my Day 1 to Day 50 80 Day Obsession transformation pics!
So you can see … IT’S WORKING! If you’d like to join me in my next exclusive 80 Day Obsession test group, click here to save your spot as I can only work one-on-one with a handful of people at a time to ensure you’re getting the attention you need!
Here’s the recipe in full:
Serves 4, measure skillet into 4 quadrants. 1/4 of the skillet = 1 serving
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. ghee (organic grass-fed if possible), divided use
- 1 lb. raw beef skirt steak
- ½ tsp. + 1 dash sea salt (or Himalayan salt), divided use
- ½ tsp. + 1 dash ground black pepper, divided use
- 11⁄3 cups chopped onion (approx. 1½ medium)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup dry long-grain brown rice
- 12⁄3 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ tsp. ground paprika
- 1½ cups frozen cut green beans
- 1½ cups chopped carrot (approx. 3 medium)
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese (optional)
- Heat 1 Tbsp. ghee in large heavy-bottomed (or cast iron) skillet over high heat until wisps of smoke begin to rise.
- Add steak; sear for 3 minutes on each side (for medium), or until deep brown. Remove steak from skillet and place on a plate. Season both sides of steak lightly with 1 dash salt and 1 dash pepper. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp. ghee in same skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add rice; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until rice begins to brown.
- Add broth, turmeric, paprika, remaining ½ tsp. salt, remaining ½ tsp. pepper, green beans, and carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low; gently boil, covered, for 45 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is almost completely absorbed.
- Slice steak thin, on the bias, against the grain.
- Remove lid from skillet; lightly fluff rice with a fork. Place sliced steak on top. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Replace lid and let rest
for 10 minutes
1 serving = 1 red, 1 green, 1 yellow, 1 blue