I’m a big Mexican food fan. I mean, who doesn’t love a good chalupa with a side of Mexican rice and refried beans? But, alas, like with almost everything I love, there’s a wicked amount of saturated fat and calories (the cheese! The sauce! They’re FRIED!!) that are poured into the dishes I love, which means I have to either nix them from my daily nutrition or consume only on cheat days, which are few and far between. So what’s a clean eater to do?
Get the healthy 21 Day Fix version! (Psst!! Which taste INCREDIBLE sans all the artery-clogging saturated fat and calories!!)
Lucky for me, the Fixate cooking show exclusively on Beachbody On Demand–which, by the way, you can now get for just $30 for the WHOLE YEAR!!–comes out with AMAZING healthy recipes every single week including 21 Day Fix Chicken Enchiladas to satisfy my cheat day food fix! Now don’t get me wrong, I was completely skeptical of this dish. Healthy chicken enchiladas? Puh-lease! There’s no such thing!
These bad boys are not only HEALTHY and 21 Day Fix-approved, they’re also DELICIOUS as in I wish I’d made a double batch to freeze because they’re so dang good!! I swear to you, you will not be disappointed when you taste these! The chicken and sauce are so good I had to stop myself from eating the whole thing! And let me know what you think!
**JOIN MY NEXT 30-DAY Challenge! Click here to save your spot as this challenge has LIMITED space!! (Other challenges we have let everyone join but this one is for a select few, who REALLY want to lose those last 5-10 lbs. before summer!!)**
Serves 2, 2 enchiladas each
- 1 cup low-sodium organic chicken broth
- 1 tsp. unflavored gelatin (preferably from grass-fed cows)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (approx. 11⁄3 medium onions)
- ½ medium jalapeño, seeds and veins removed, chopped (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 2 Tbsp. FIXATE Taco Seasoning (see separate recipe for FIXATE Taco Seasoning)
- 1 cup all-natural tomato puree
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch (preferably GMO-free) + 2 Tbsp. water (combine to make a slurry)
- 1½ cups cooked shredded chicken breast 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas **I cooked 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in my CrockPot for 8 hours on low then shredded
- ½ cup shredded cheddar-jack cheese
- Sprinkle broth with gelatin. Set aside.
- Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant.
- Add onion and jalapeño (if desired); cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add salt, taco seasoning, tomato puree, and broth. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low; gently boil, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add cornstarch slurry; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute, or until thickened.
- Combine 2⁄3 cup sauce with chicken in a medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Place 2⁄3 cup sauce in the bottom of 9 x 9-inch casserole pan. Set aside.
- Heat medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook tortillas for 10 seconds on each side. Set aside.
- Place ½ Red container of chicken and sauce mixture (1½ oz.) on each tortilla; roll.
- Place each rolled tortilla, seam-side down, in prepared pan. Top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle each tortilla with ½ blue container cheddar-jack cheese (approx. 2 Tbsp.).
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling. Enjoy!
FIXATE Taco Seasoning
- 3 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. + 1½ tsp. ground cumin
- 2½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2½ tsp. onion powder
- 2½ tsp. ground sweet smoked paprika
- 2½ tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Combine chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, coriander, and pepper in a small bowl; mix well.
- Store taco seasoning in an airtight container.
21 Day Fix container breakdown:
1/2 green 1/2 purple 1 red 1 yellow 1 blue 1 1/2 tsp.