So as I mentioned in my last blog post, I’ve made some really effective tweaks to my 21 Day Fix nutrition that have yielded some great results for me! (I mean, the definition and toning I am seeing now is AWESOME!!! Want to know what the other tweaks were? Join my upcoming challenge and I can show you exactly how to get the best results by making simple changes to your nutrition!!) One of those tweaks is that I haven’t been eating carbs after lunch. This is not because any research actually shows that this helps you lose weight. In fact, no research proves this. Calories are calories so it doesn’t matter when they’re consumed when it comes to weight loss. However, when it comes to fueling your body properly, it totally makes sense! And, for me, I workout pretty intensely early in the morning, which means waiting until 2 p.m. to eat my first carb was a big no-no!! My body needed those carbs to fuel me for the rest of the day.
But with this change, I had to give up carbs either at lunch or dinner. And I felt that it made the most sense to give them up for dinner. It was really hard to get my head around, to be honest. It was a total mental thing. BUT, I did it! And I did it by hunting down meals for dinner that truly satisfied my old way of thinking, which revolved around a meat, a carb, and a veggie for dinner!
Luckily, recipes like this one totally checked off all the boxes I needed! My good friend, Gwynne, pointed this recipe out to me and then was gracious enough to bring me some after she’d made it so I could give it a try. (Such a nice neighbor!!) And, let me tell you: it was DELCIOUS!! And filling! And so flavorful! And it’s 21 Day Fix approved!
So I won’t make you wait any longer! Here’s the kick-butt recipe that even your kiddos will love!!
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 tsp. Olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 chicken breast, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
For the sauce:
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 cup organic, low-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 375˚F/200˚C.
- Poke several holes into the spaghetti squash. Microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Cut squash in half along the holes. Remove seeds with a spoon. Drizzle squash with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place squash upside down on baking tray and bake for 40 minutes until soft. Let cool.
- Using a skillet, cook the chicken breast on medium-high heat with a little olive oil for 6-8 minutes until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Sauté onion for a few minutes. Add garlic and cook for a minute. Add tomatoes and cook for a couple minutes. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add lemon juice and chicken broth, and cook until the liquid partially reduces, about 20 minutes. Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes. Add spinach and cook for 2 minutes.
- Using a fork, shred the inside of the squash.
- Pour sauce over the squash. Serve immediately.
21 Day Fix container breakdown per serving:
2-3 green, 1 red, 1 tsp.
Recipe courtesy of BuzzFeed.