Not gonna lie: I was super skeptical of an all-veggie lasagna. I mean, meat and noddles are synonymous with lasagna and this 21 Day Fix recipe from the FixAte cooking show on Beachbody On Demand did not have either of those ingredients. So you can imagine my complete shock when I dug into the massive serving on my plate (because the serving you’re allowed of this masterpiece is huge and SO filling!!) and I was blown away by the awesome flavor! Not only did it satisfy every taste bud, it kept me full AND it got my TWO servings of veggies! TWO!! And if you’re anything like me, you struggle to get all of your veggie servings in so getting in TWO in one foul swoop is like getting an early Christmas present!
The dish makes six servings so not only are you getting one really fantastic meal out of this, you’re getting two maybe even three depending on how many people are eating it! Score for leftovers!!
One thing I decided to add were two layers of sliced meatballs since the hubs and I wanted to add a bit of protein. I used this 21 Day Fix-approved chicken Parmesan meatball recipe for the meatballs, baked them, and then let them cool before slicing and adding to the ricotta cheese layer. I can’t say enough about adding that extra meat to it, too! It really upped the heartiness of it!
Side note: I have to say, I’m so thoroughly impressed by the FixAte cooking show on Beachbody On Demand! The range and variety of recipes is amazing from cocktails to appetizers to soups to vegetarian and vegan dishes and even desserts!!
Here’s the recipe for the lasagna:
- 2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil, divided use
- 5 cups peeled, ½-inch cubed eggplant (approx. 1 large eggplant)
- ½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt), divided use
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper 2 cups FIXATE Marinara (see separate recipe for FIXATE Marinara) *I used Muir Organic sauce that contains no additional sugar
- 2 large zucchini, ends removed, cut lengthwise in 1⁄8-inch strips
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese, divided use
- ¾ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Grease bottom of an 8 x 8-inch casserole dish with 1 tsp. oil. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add eggplant. Season with ¼ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until eggplant has begun to brown.
- Add marinara; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until eggplant has begun to soften slightly. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- Place 5 or 6 zucchini slices, overlapping slightly, into bottom of casserole dish. Top evenly with 1 cup ricotta cheese, 1 dash salt, and 1½ cups eggplant mixture. Top with a second layer of zucchini slices (running crosswise, in the opposite direction of the first layer), then remaining 1 cup ricotta, remaining dash salt, and 1½ cups eggplant mixture.
- Add a third layer of zucchini. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, turning once halfway through, or until lasagna is bubbling and mozzarella cheese is golden brown.
- Allow to cool and set for 10 to 12 minutes. Cut into 6 pieces and enjoy!
21 Day Fix container count per serving:
2 green, 1/2 red, 1/2 blue, 3 tsp.