I LOVE, LOVE Thai food. If I could eat red curry peanut noodles and pad Thai every day … I probably would. But Thai food is not necessarily clean and I would guess (likely correctly), that it’s also not 21 Day Fix approved. Alas, Thai food becomes my “cheat meal,” and let’s be honest, sometimes I want my cheat meal to be ice cream and not my whole dinner.
So when I came across this recipe from Publix, a major grocery chain here in the South where we live, I about fell over. It’s actually healthy. But how good can something clean and healthy and 21 Day Fix approved taste, after all, though, right? Holy hell, people. This recipe is REALLY good. Like, mouthwatering, I-want-to-make-it-for-dinner-every-week kind of delicious. And the best part–besides the obvious clean part–is that you can make it ahead of time! So on days like tomorrow when my 4 year old has soccer practice from 6 to 7 p.m., I’ll whip this up in the morning and have it ready for reheating after practice. Bam!!
Now I won’t lie–the kids were not totally into this recipe so I did make them something else. However, this is a rare occurrence in my household when the littles won’t eat what me and the hubs eat, so I don’t worry about it too much.
Anyway, without further adieu, here is the recipe, below! (Think you’d like to give 21 Day Fix a try and eat meals like this ALL the time without the guilt AND lose weight and tone up? Click here for more details on my next 30-day health & fitness challenge!)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1-oz bag fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 2 limes for juice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup clam juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 (8.5-oz) package brown rice
- 2 cups matchstick carrots
- 1/2 cup presliced green onions
- Chop cilantro; chop basil (about 1 cup, divided).
- Squeeze limes for juice (4 tablespoons, divided).
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place 1 tablespoon oil in pan, then add meat; brown 4–5 minutes, stirring to crumble meat, or until no pink remains. While meat cooks, combine 2 tablespoons lime juice, sugar, salt, garlic, red pepper, clam juice, and soy sauce. Drain meat; then return meat to pan.
- Add lime juice mixture to beef; cook and stir 2 minutes or until liquid is reduced by about one-half and mixture thickens.
- Remove pan from heat; stir in 1/2 cup basil. Prepare rice following package instructions for microwave.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup basil, cilantro, carrots, and green onions. Whisk remaining 2 tablespoons each lime juice and oil; toss with carrot mixture until evenly coated. Serve beef mixture over rice; top with carrot mixture. Serve.
21 Day Fix container breakdown:
1 red, 1 green, 1/2 yellow (for rice)