I like tacos. Like all kinds. Sweet, savory, simple. So when I come across a taco recipe that’s different than, say, just grilled chicken and chopped iceberg lettuce, I get pretty excited.
Such was the case with this recipe I found in a recent issue of Good Housekeeping. Hubs and I love peanut sauce. In fact, I have this recipe for Red Curry Peanut Noodles from a Food & Wine cookbook and a peanut sauce recipe to go on top of roasted broccoli that are literally staples in our home. So when I saw this recipe I tore out that page stat.
And let me tell you: these tacos are really flipping good! Now I love a little spiciness here and there but the original recipe was too spicy for me. So I’m going to include the recipe as is so you can tweak as you see fit and in parentheses I’ll add in what I did to tone down the spice but keep the smoky peanut flavor.
Oh, and if you’re following 21 Day Fix, I’ve included a container breakdown, though, I’ll be honest–this isn’t truly a 21 Day Fix-approved recipe because it doesn’t use all-natural peanut butter and it also uses butter. However, with that exception, this recipe is pretty dang clean and healthy and delicious. Unless you eat an insane amount of the sauce, you’re not destroying your body like you would be with a Big Mac or biscuits and gravy.
Let me know what you think!
- 1/2 c. peanut butter
- 1/4 c. water
- 1 tbsp. melted butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo (I used 1/2 a chipotle chile and that was still too hot for my liking. So I would say either skip the chile all together or use 1/4 chile)
- 3 tbsp. adobo sauce (you can buy just adobo sauce in the latin cooking aisle of your grocery store)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp. lime jice
- Tortillas, for serving
- Cilantro, for serving
- Red cabbage, for serving
- Puree peanut butter, water, butter, garlic, chipotle, adobo sauce and salt until smooth. Pour into 2-quart baking dish. Add chicken, turning to coat.
- Cover with foil; bake at 400 degrees F 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked (165 degrees F).
- Slice chicken, then drizzle with lime juice. Serve with toasted tortillas, cilantro, and red cabbage.
21 Day Fix container breakdown per serving of 2 corn tortillas:
1/2 green, 1 red, 1 yellow, 2 tsp.