We love quick, easy, and kid friendly in our house. And these fajitas hit the spot! I’m too often underwhelmed by fajitas when I get them at Mexican restaurants because the flavor is usually so-so. So I was reluctant to try these bad boys because, well, the spice ingredients, or, rather, the amount of the spices for this recipe seemed like nothing. I mean, how could 1/2 teaspoon of cumin and a teaspoon of chili powder, etc. season FOUR chicken breasts, a green pepper, and an onion and remain flavorful?
I don’t know the answer but I do know this: the flavor is bangin’! And the way it’s cooked leaves the chicken super tender and moist. So tasty is the chicken that I had to stop myself from nibbling here and there on it once it was finished! One thing we did modify was that we added a second pepper to up the veggie content.
This is just one of the amazing recipes from 21 Day Fix Extreme. (There are SO many more from the eating plan!) It amazes me sometimes that eating healthy can be THIS good AND this EASY.
Here’s the recipe and the 21 Day Fix container breakdown, below:
Makes 4 servings, 2 fajitas each
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. Extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 (5-6 oz.) raw chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into 1/2 in strips
- 2 medium red or green red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 medium avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh salsa
- lime wedge for garnish, optional
- Nonfat plain Greek yogurt for garnish, optional
- Corn tortillas
- Combine chili powder, salt, cumin, garlic powder, and 1 tsp oil in large resealable plastic bag.
- Add chicken, bell pepper, and onion; mix gently to coat.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp. oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Empty contents of bag into skillet; cook stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from heat. Add lime juice.
- Toasts corn tortilla in skillet.
- Evenly top corn tortillas with chicken mixture, avocado and salsa.
- Garnish with lime wedges if desired.
21 Day Fix container breakdown:
2 Green, 1/2 purple, 1 red, 1/2 blue