Yes, I know, it’s March 27th and officially spring and all. But I don’t know about you, but it’s chilly here today in the Carolinas! (I know those of you who live in Buffalo, Boston, and Chicago are OVER this winter!) So what does that mean? Cold wet, weather = chili.
The best part about chili is that you can actually make it healthy AND still taste delicious. No, really, you can. Bonus: you can double this recipe, freeze a batch, and save it for another rainy, cold day when you simply don’t feel like making dinner AT ALL.
I’m especially fond of this recipe when I’m on my carb depletion days with the Countdown to Competition meal plan from 21 Day Fix Extreme because it gives me a full serving of protein, and half servings or carbs and veggies. (The Countdown to Competition plan, by the way, is what helped me bust through my plateau and shed even MORE inches on my frame. DEFINITELY worth trying if you’re stuck in a rut on the scale.)
Here is the recipe courtesy of the new 21 Day Fix Extreme meal plan. I’ve altered it a little (e.g., I use lean ground beef instead of turkey, I double the green peppers, I add green onion and Greek yogurt to the top, etc.). 21 Day Fix container breakdown is below! Enjoy!
Makes 6 servings, 1 cup each
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1.5 pounds raw 93% lean ground turkey or 97% lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt or Himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (to taste; optional)
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 (15-oz.) can pinto beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 (15-oz.) can all-natural diced tomatoes, no sugar added, sodium free
- 12 fresh cilantro sprigs, finely chopped (for garnish, optional)
- Green onions, chopped (for garnish, optional)
- Non-fat Greek yogurt (for garnish, optional)
- Sriracha, to taste
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-heat.
- Add turkey or beef, onion, peppers and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes or until turkey/beef is no longer pink.
- Add cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper; cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Add beans and tomatoes (with liquid). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; gently boil, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with cilantro, green onion, Greek yogurt, and Sriracha!
21 Day Fix container breakdown per serving:
1/2 Green, 1 Red, 1/2 Yellow